On the demise of free(code) ...

I feel I have to write something about the demise of free(code). Others have written about it too, and its been covered on lwn.net as well.

It’s actually a rather depressing development. They claim it’s due to the low traffic and decline in updates, but it’s evident that’s not the whole truth. The owners recommend their other site, SourceForge, but anyone having been in the loop for the last decade or two knows that SourceForge has been in a slow decline for a long time, more so than free(code) in my opinion. Also, SourceForge only lists its own projects, and only the most active or “top” projects.

I never used free(code) to find the “top” projects or the most active ones. That’s completely useless to me. I went there to dig for small unknown projects, small gems that are usually unlisted on GitHub or SourceForge. I went there to publicize my own small creations, learn about other similar projects and get a quick feedback on recent changes of new releases to projects I was interested in.

[Read More]

Proof of Life

There is a certain “burstyness” to the way I work on my open source projects. It seems it often coincides with intense work loads during new release cycles at work.

However, I’ve just finished restoring two pages that got lost in the big server crash:

Big thanks goes to the Wayback Machine for maintaining records of the original pages I lost!

Resurrection

Quite some time has passed now since our old site, http://vmlinux.org, crashed and burned, and with it much of my previous Open Source work and blogs. Tech blog entries, archives for the projects I maintain, lost. Backups? Of course not. This all happened in 2011. Since then we also managed to lose the domain and I kind of lost myself for a while, including my motivation. Fortunately, at this point in time I had migrated most of my projects from CVS and Subversion to DVCS’ like Bzr and GIT, so I could easily setup new homes for most of my Open Source projects at GitHub. [Read More]

Test posting using blosxom

First try to consolidate on using an already working implementation of a blog script rather than writing my own. I’m trying out Blosxom, which is somewhat overkill for my needs. I actually wrote up a simple Perl script a couple of weeks ago that did what I wanted, oh well, what remains now is to do some Emacs hacks to smooth things over a bit.